ON HOLD DUE TO PANDEMIC
Join St. Gabriel's Prison Ministry
Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them. Heb 13:3
Prison Ministry Objective: To show the incarcerated that they have not been forgotten by God and that God anxiously waits for them to embrace Him. Volunteering in this ministry not only impacts the life of the incarcerated, but it also impacts your walk of faith. To join the ministry, CLICK HERE and scroll down to Prison Ministry or complete the form below.
The Parish participation in this ministry is only limited by the number of volunteers. Our experience as volunteers in the various programs is that the incarcerated are hungry for the Word of God. Come evangelize and serve at the same time.
The following are ways you can become involved:
1. Join St. Gabriel’s Prison Ministry Group:
Ministry Mission: To plan and develop the growth of the ministry outreach.
Ministry Needs: Volunteers to participate in the ministry mission.
Our Experience with the Ministry: “… “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few;” (Matt 9:37)
Meetings Schedule: TBD
Volunteer to participate in the Heroin Addiction Recovery Program (HARP) at the Chesterfield County Jail:
Program Mission: Provides support, counseling, and training for individuals who are incarcerated and addicted to heroin. Our prison ministry team offers 4 and 5 week long classes, one day per week, on topics of interest to the incarcerated.
Program Needs: Class developers, teachers, helpers or facilitators.
Our Experience with the Program: Most jail inmates return to the community in less than a year, and many in HARP want to turn their lives around. We offer our classes with a Catholic Christian perspective.
Classes Offered and Planned: Forgiveness and Parenting. In the future, we'd like to offer a class on Financial Literacy.
2. Volunteer to join a KAIROS team of interdenominational Christian men or women who gives Christian-based retreats at state men or women's correctional institutions.
Program Mission: Share the transforming love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ to impact the hearts and lives of the incarcerated men and woman to become loving and productive citizens of their communities
- Retreat Team Member: Become part of an interfaith Christian men or women's team that goes into a correctional facility to give a 3-day-retreat to inmates twice a year.
- Cookies Bakers - Cookies, baked in prayer, are given to the retreatants to express the care and concern of others. Watch the bulletin for the weekends at mass that the bags and directions are distributed so you can participate in this great gesture of Christ's love.
- Prayer Partner: During the retreat weekend prayer partners commit to pray for ½ hour slots for the retreatants and team members.
- Participate in the Weekend Retreat Closing Ceremonies: You can witness the incarcerated share how the retreat impacted. Applications to attend this closing ceremonies is required to be submitted. To get the application CLICK HERE and drop it at the church two weeks before the weekend.
- To find out more CLICK HERE.
Interested in finding out more? Complete the inquiry form below and a ministry team member will be in touch with you.
CLICK HERE to find out more about HARP
You can also visit the Kairos Websites:
Kairos International: http://www.kairosprisonministry.org/index.php
Kairos of Virginia: http://www.kairosva.org/WhereWeServe2015.html