Opps for Families
For Families with Young Children
Opportunities In the Parish:
SEE THE BULLETIN FOR DETAILS AS THESE OPPORTUNITIES BECOME AVAILABLE OR CALL THE PARISH OFFICE 639-6712
- St. Anthony’s Bread - Make bag lunches for the homeless. Happens after the 11 am mass on the 2nd Sunday of each month in the kitchen. (During COVID-19, we are sending monetary donations to cover the costs and if you would like to contribute, mark your contribution to St. Anthony's Bread and mail it in, bring it by the office or drop it in the offertory basket.)
- Angel Tree Program - During Advent we shop for gifts for those in need in our greater community and bring to the masses the first weekend of December.
- Rice Bowls - Funds are collected during Lent that benefit the Catholic Relief Services.
- Food Pantry - The first weekend of each month we collect food items at the masses needed to stock the shelves at both St. Gabriel and Good Samaritan. CLICK HERE for a list of items.
- Kairos Ministry – Our newest social justice ministry is a great opportunity for families to support those incarcerated and seeking a closer relationship with Christ at a Kairos retreat. Families can make cookies for the retreatants and be part of the prayer list praying for those attending the retreats. (Outreach is suspended during the COVID-19 restrictions)
For Families with Youth (Middle and High School)
In addition to the Opportunities Listed Above:
1. Helping Hands - On the 2nd Saturday of each month join your peers in helping people right here at St. Gabriel's. Parishioners request help with yard work, cleaning or light repair and any donations received will benefit a chosen social justice outreach for the year. CLICK HERE to find out more. (Outreach is suspended during the COVID-19 restrictions)
Opportunities in the Greater Community:
- Diocesan Youth Conference - Once a year in the summer the youth of the diocese will help repair and rebuild homes. CLICK HERE to find out more.
- American Red Cross - CLICK HERE to connect.
- Bon Secours Hospitals – ages 14-17 (may vary from facility) - CLICK HERE to connect.
- Children’s Hospital of Virginia (VCU campus) – ages 14-17 - CLICK HERE to connect.
- FeedMore - CLICK HERE to connect.
- Habitat for Humanity - CLICK HERE to connect.
- Special Olympics Virginia - CLICK HERE to connect.
- CARITAS - CLICK HERE to connect as a volunteer with a lot of contact free ways to help, or to help build furniture CLICK HERE
- CIRCLES RVA - Seek to make a real different in breaking the cycle of poverty by CLICKING HERE