Opps for Families
For Families with Young Children
Opportunities In the Parish:
(SEE THE BULLETIN FOR DETAILS AS THESE OPPORTUNITIES BECOME AVAILABLE OR CALL THE PARISH OFFICE 639-6712
- St. Francis Home - St. Gabriel's parishioners go on the 2nd Saturday of each month. CLICK HERE to find out more.
- St. Anthony’s Bread - Make bag lunches for the homeless. Happens after the 11 am mass on the 2nd Sunday of each month in the kitchen.
- Caritas - Join our parish family as we host our homeless guests providing a wide range of services and opportunities to be involved. Happens twice a year.
- Respect Life Ministry – Our parish offers a "baby shower or 1st birthday celebration" where we collect items for the Pregnancy Resource Center.
- Angel Tree Program - During Advent we shop for gifts for those in need in our greater community and bring to the masses the first weekend of December.
- Rice Bowls - Funds are collected during Lent that benefit the Catholic Relief Services.
- Food Pantry - The first weekend of each month we collect food items at the masses needed to stock the shelves at both St. Gabriel and Good Samaritan. CLICK HERE for a list of items.
- Meals for the Sick - Periodically we receive requests for help with meals while a parishioner is struggling through sickness. Call the parish office if interested.
- Kairos Ministry – Our newest social justice ministry is a great opportunity for families to support those incarcerated and seeking a closer relationship with Christ at a Kairos retreat. Families can make cookies for the retreatants and be part of the prayer list praying for those attending the retreats.
For Families with Youth (Middle and High School)
In addition to the Opportunities Listed Above:
1. Helping Hands - On the 2nd Saturday of each month join your peers in helping people right here at St. Gabriel's. Parishioners request help with yard work, cleaning or light repair and any donations received will benefit a chosen social justice outreach for the year. CLICK HERE to find out more.
Opportunities in the Greater Community:
- Diocesan Youth Conference - Once a year in the summer the youth of the diocese will help repair and rebuild homes. CLICK HERE to find out more.
- American Red Cross - CLICK HERE to connect.
- Bon Secours Hospitals – ages 14-17 (may vary from facility) - CLICK HERE to connect.
- Children’s Hospital of Virginia (VCU campus) – ages 14-17 - CLICK HERE to connect.
- FeedMore - CLICK HERE to connect.
- Habitat for Humanity - CLICK HERE to connect.
- Special Olympics Virginia - CLICK HERE to connect.